BTSF in chronological order (most recent articles appear first):

Saturday, April 10, 2010

I've Got Style?

So the UMC Church for All People, had its "tea and style show" today. Basically a fashion show in which the congregation can participate, partially to raise money for the church and partially to show off some of the clothes available at our Free Store. I thought it would be great fun to participate and began to brainstorm what I should wear. I love fancy occasions, so I thought I might participate in the "formal attire" section in one of my recital gowns. But then I am already self-conscious about being pinned as a high-brow white classical musician, so I ruled that out. Maybe an outfit that my friend brought back for me from Ghana? Didn't want to seem like I was trying too hard to be 'multicultural.' Too many white folk are all like "am so cool because I embrace other cultures." The church doesn't know me well enough yet for that. Maybe one of the silk dresses I bought when I was in doing my research trip in China? Naw....I've never felt comfortable wearing them. Never found the appropriate occasion where it didn't feel like I was just a tourist appropriating pretty outfits or just showing off my travel experience. How about this dress? no. This shirt? no. This wrap? no no. Nothing in my closet seemed worthy of a fashion show. So I sang with the choir instead.


See Also:
Why I love the Church For All People

1 comment:

  1. Ha, ha, ha! Well, ALL the clothes that you've ever worn to church have been fashion-show-worthy.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
By Their Strange Fruit by Katelin H is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at @BTSFblog