BTSF is happy to receive post submissions and pitches as long as they generally fit the mission and scope of the site. The topical index provides a sense of the spectrum of subjects previously covered.
Guest authors are free to express their own views, but must be respectful in tone (see Commenting Guidelines). Posts will be lightly edited for clarity and length in collaboration with the author. Typically, BTSF will also add images, links, and text formatting during the editing process.
To submit an idea contact us via email or by twitter.
New posts go live on Mondays.
BTSF offers the following advice for successful guest posts submissions:
- The average time readers stay on a post is 90 seconds or 500 words.
- Try to keep posts as close to 500 words as possible, recognizing that anything beyond this limit has a significantly smaller chance of being read.
- The nuanced topics covered on BTSF often require that post must be stretched to 700 words, but anything approaching 1000 words is best broken in to a series of articles.
- Use short paragraphs (~3 sentences max) and short sentences.
- If a sentence has more than two clauses, break it apart.
- State your main point right up front, and then expound on it.
- Don't hold it back or build up to it.
- Readers typically decide to stay or go within the first two sentences of an article.
- Avoid starting posts with an 'I' statement or personal story.
- Though they may be good additions later in the post, readers will tune out if used as openers.
- Avoid overly repeating your points--it actually dilutes a message.
- If you feel you aren’t getting your meaning across recombine and reduce, rather reiterating and rephrasing.
- Any keywords that will help identify your topic should be mentioned in the first paragraph for easy search engine identification.
- Titles should also contain any keywords that are central to the subject at hand.
- Don’t assume your audience knows jargon terms or relevant context.
- BTSF has both secular social justice readers, as well as Christian new-to-social-justice readers.
- Include a short 1-2 sentence bio, including the name by which the author should be identified, as well as affiliations and any desired links/contact info.
- If your article is accepted and goes live, check back in periodically to respond to any comments that may be directed toward the author.
- BTSF gives the original contributor the first opportunity to respond to comments, before contributing our own thoughts.
- See also BTSF Blogging Advice
BTSF Mission and Vision
BTSF Blogging Advice