- Bear with one another with the love, patience, and grace that is prescribed in scripture.
- Follow that, and you'll be fine.
- Give fellow readers the benefit of the doubt, and avoid generalizations.
- If you're new to conversations about race or Christianity, it may be that your comment has already been addressed.
- It may be useful to read previous posts before offering up what may inadvertently be a hackneyed argument.
- Violent Language and Racial/religious slurs are strictly prohibited.
- Please direct any self-promotion to 'Friday Fruit' comment threads, unless it is directly relevant to a given article.
- In general, the Sojourners Code of Conduct offers an excellent guide for discussions:
- I will express myself with civility, courtesy, and respect for every member of the Sojourners online community, especially toward those with whom I disagree—even if I feel disrespected by them. (Romans 12:17-21)
- I will express my disagreements with other community members' ideas without insulting, mocking, or slandering them personally. (Matthew 5:22)
- I will not exaggerate others' beliefs nor make unfounded prejudicial assumptions based on labels, categories, or stereotypes. I will always extend the benefit of the doubt. (Ephesians 4:29)
- I will hold others accountable by reporting comments that violate these principles, based not on what ideas are expressed but on how they're expressed. (2 Thessalonians 3:13-15)
- I understand that comments and wall posts reported as abusive are reviewed by the staff and are subject to removal. Repeat offenders will be blocked from making further comments. (Proverbs 18:7)
- See also the guidelines at Stuff White People Do.
Comments are moderated, but are only blocked in extreme cases. That being said, to be taken seriously, commenters are strongly encouraged to adhere to the following guidelines:
If you feel your comment has been wrongfully withheld (it may just have been caught in the spam filter!), or feel that a current comment should be removed from one of our pages/posts, please bring it to our attention (via email, twitter, or comment).
Also, there is always open invitation to correct typos/broken links...I can never seem to find them all...